[Sca-cooks] Early morning craving...

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Aug 7 06:54:07 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
> And some boring fettucine, too.  A little gorgonzola, and it
> becomes a gnocchi sauce.  Some sheeted pastred, spinach and
> feta, and you get spinach lasagna ala bechamella (technically
> ala alfredo).
>
> niccolo pizza difrancesco
> (see? Pizza really is my middle name)

Gnocchi.  He wrote "gnocchi".  Niccolo, yer a dangerous man.

And me having just eaten breakfast, too... > > > > >

You just THOUGHT I was dangterous:

http://franiccolo.home.mindspring.com/se_vuoi_gnocchi.htm

Se vuoi I gnocchi: Togli lo cascio fresco e pestalo: poscia togli la farina
et intridi con tuorla d'uova a modo di magliacci. Poni il paiuolo al fuoco
con acqua e quando bolle, poni lo triso in su in uno taglieri, fallo andare
colla cazza nel paiuolo, e quando, sono, cotti, poni sopra li taglieri e
getta su assai cacio grattugiato.

If you want some Gnocchi, take some fresh cheese and mash it, then take some
flour and mix it with egg yolks as in making magliacci. Put a pot full of
water on the fire and, when it begins to boil, put the mixture in a dish and
drop into the pot with a ladle. And when they are cooked, place them on
dishes and sprinkle with plenty of grated cheese.

Niccolo's Recipe
serves 6 to 8
1 pound cream cheese2 cups flour as neededsalt to taste 	6 egg yolks6 to 8
tablespoons grated cheesepepper to taste
Beat cream cheese into a creamy paste (a stand mixer does this very well).
If it is too stiff, then push it through a ricer, food mill or sieve.
Completely mix in the flour using your hands or paddle on your mixer. Salt
and pepper to taste and add in the egg yolks one by one. Mix well before
adding next yolk.

For accurate portion control: Gently but firmly knead the dough until it is
supple and smooth and no longer overly soft. Chill for at least 2 hours in
refrigerator to let rest and hydrate.  Cut into 4 equal pieces and roll with
your hands into a "rope" about the diameter of your index thumb. Cut off
dumplings every half inch and set aside in a single layer.
* * * For a more accurate preparation, place the whole glob of dough on a
plate and use a teaspoon to drop small dumplings directly into the water * *
*

Bring large pot of water to boil. Salt so that it is almost the taste of sea
water. Drop a bunch of the dumplings (do not crowd the pan) into the water
and allow the dumplings to simmer until they rise to the surface. Cook for
45 to 60 seconds more.  Remove with a skimmer and drain well.

Sprinkle liberally with grated cheese and serve immediately. These can hold
for 30 to 45 minutes in a warm pan in a single layer, but will decline in
quality and get gummy as they sit longer.

ORIGINAL TEXT & TRANSLATION
Frammento du un libro di cucina del sec. XIV by Olindo Guerrini as
found in The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy, by Odile Redon
et al.