[Sca-cooks] grinding the food flavorings

Georgia Foster jo_foster81 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 11:21:46 PDT 2006

more fodder for teh silly season discussions

please note ... I did not say 'spices' which is another subject all together

niccolo difrancesco stated:

"So, I got this big power coffee grinder to grind my whole spices a pound at
a time . . .. like you can do at the grocery with your coffee beans."

NOW

I gave up coffee several months ago.

I use the power coffee grinder to grind my food flavorings. It worked so
well that I went and bought another grinder so that I would have one for
sweet (cinnamon, allspice ... etc) and one for savory.

I used to use a mortar and pestle, which I now use only for the fresh raw
green stuff I use to flavor various things.

which begs the question … actually  ...  questions;  for I have two of them.

is there any significant flavor differences between food flavorings ground
in the traditional mortar and pestle and those ground by the modern
mechanical means?

AND

am I the only one who adds the salt for a recipe to the mortar and pestle
when grinding green spice, to sort of help the grinding process?

Cheers

Malkin
Otherhill
Artemisia

Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com

Never knock on death's door........ Ring the doorbell and run. He hates
that.