[Sca-cooks] Threat Levels at Airports

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Thu Aug 10 07:40:04 PDT 2006

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:09:11 -0400
  Elaine Koogler <ekoogler1 at comcast.net> wrote:

   I also got checked
>out thoroughly
> to Pittsburg (on my
> a year ago when I flew to Michigan...I had my coronet in
>my carry-on and
> the screeners were concerned about this metal object
>with sharp
> points...despite the little balls on the end of each
>point!  I
> personally think they were just curious...wondered what
>that "thing" was!

we got held up leaving ireland (couple years before 9/11)
because an x-ray of our suitcase revealed something of
'interest'.  they requested the presence of husband at the
desk.   so i'm sitting and sitting in dublin airport
wondering if we were going to make the flight back home or
not.

he comes back looking a bit sheepish.  seems they saw one
of his souveniers that had the outline of a giant bullet
or iddy-biddy torpedo.  definitely shell shaped.

it was a flask he bought in dublin,  cylindrical with
several small cone shaped thimble cups held in place with
a leather strap on top for 'sharing' the waters of life
with friends.  once revealed, the inspectors thought it
was pretty cool and all left friends.

so you see, the most innocent of things....

and don't get me started on the woman in atlanta wanting
to swab our replica of the armagh chalice (pulled out of
the packing and box, mind you) for gunpowder residue or
some such.  PUH-leeze!!!!!!!!

airports were crazy long before this.

cailte
"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
University of New Mexico
Office of Freshman Admissions