[Sca-cooks] Peanut butter and???

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 10 08:09:07 PDT 2006

> On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:27 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:
>

>> Gawd.  And I went to I-hop for dinner tonight.  My diet is
>> *pathetic*...I
>> can't even *dream* of food that tasty....(anything involving pb and/
>> or spam
>> is straight out of an M Night Shamalan movie as far as I'm concerned)
>> --Maire the seriously prosaic

A family friend who worked on LADY IN THE WATER had nothing but nice
things to say about working with M. Night Shyamalan.  I guess he's
another one of those people who gets all of the darkness in his soul out
in his art, leaving nothing but niceness in person.  For instance,
Robert Bloch who wrote PSYCHO and so many other nightmare-inducing
stories was a huggable teddy bear in person.

> Well, my Lobster Thermidor reference was straight (or as close as I
> could remember it, anyway) out of the Python "Spam" sketch. I
> probably wouldn't want to put a cheese-based sauce on lobster! ;-)

"Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a
Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle
pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam."

It's not bad really, despite the usual warnings about mixing seafood
with cheese.  A properly done Mornay is more Bechamel-creamy than
sticky-cheesy, n'est-ce pas?  I generally leave off the Spam and the
Fried Egg however.
> You remind me of the time I made a stuffed, roast chicken and brought
> it over to my mother's house. ...<snip>
>
> Well, my niece was there, and she had some of this, and essentially,
> she went nuts. Eight or nine years later, she still talks about this
> as being one of the seminal culinary experiences of her life, and
> what really struck me was when she said, "I can't really explain it,
> but this is what I always imagined rich people eating." I sort of
> didn't know what to say to this, and finally all I could say was,
> "Well, maybe rich people lucky enough to have French grandmas that
> love them, anyway..."
The Baron of Angels, Jason Thomas the Wanderer, has had a birthday
tradition of Lobster Thermidor for nearly 50 years now, since the father
of one of his school friends took the boys out for a fancy rich-folks
meal.  A very similar seminal experience in his young life.  I have been
privileged to prepare the delicacy for him a couple of times and taken
him out to a good restaurant for it other times.  It is horribly out of
fashion now and it's getting tougher to find!  Fortunately, there are a
few really old-school restaurants in LA County that still carry it;
manly-man, artery-bustin', Surf'n'Turf kind of places with wood paneling
and red vinyl booths, you know what I'm talking here.  Cameron's in
Pasadena comes to mind.

Selene