[Sca-cooks] OT OOP Political Comments was Threat Levels at Airports

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 10 23:18:13 PDT 2006

> Oh, how wonderful it would be to have a republic run by *people* again!

You have a republic run by people.  Your complaint is they aren't the people
YOU want running it.  Every form of government, most of which we don't want,
are run by people, most of whom we don't want.  Anarchy would solve the
problem of government, but the shared ethics and the implicit social
contract required aren't there yet.

> And to be able to protest a war or a president without being arrested,
> sent to a secret prison or a 'Free Speech Zone'!
> Remember when the *whole country* was a Free Speech Zone?
>
> Duriel

Protest has always carried the threat of arrest, no matter who was in the
White House and Abe Lincoln tossed more citizens in the can over the issue
than the current blowhard in the Oval Office.  Free Speech Zones are merely
detestable cowardice from an overbearing bully, but they're no worse than
the hammer job the protestors got at the 1968 Democratic Convention.  The
idea of silencing the voices you don't like crosses the entire political
spectrum and is not solely the province of the Republican Party.

Bear