[Sca-cooks] [OOP] Durable Cakes

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Fri Aug 11 06:21:08 PDT 2006

There are more knowledgeable people here than I, but in the spirit of
drowning out the socio-political grandstanding ;) I'll do what I can here...

My little bit of experience tells me that pound cakes, UNCUT, keep
better than sponge cakes.  I think uncut angel food cakes keep well,
too, but I'm not positive.  If you'd have to trim the top before
stacking or icing, don't trim until you're ready to fill/frost it.  Keep
it tightly wrapped at room temperature, not in the refrigerator.

Wedding cake bakers freeze their cakes repeatedly in the process of
frosting them to help them acheive perfectly smooth finishes and to
stabilize some of the fancy icing flourishes while they work on other
details, so it seems to me that freezing your cake base should work fine.

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf