[Sca-cooks] menu planning for dietary restrictions

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Aug 13 09:58:43 PDT 2006

On Aug 13, 2006, at 12:18 PM, grizly wrote:

> [...]

I haven't gone poring over the texts at my disposal with a magnifying
glass, but I don't recall a single instance in the medieval corpus of
breadcrumbs being used in that way. The most common references I've
seen to any coating of anything before frying have involved beaten
egg wash/glaze, sheets of dough wrapped around a filling, and the
occasional admonition that such-and-such is eaten fried without a
coating of flour, which suggests it was probably done on occasion.
There may be exceptions to this, but I can't think of any off the top
of my head.

Even if we think of fritters (which are, in the common medieval
usage, generally made with a sticky, semi-liquid dough/batter,
leavened with yeast), the dough seems most often to be the main
substance of the dish, even if it's the substrate for another
ingredient. You do start to run across apple or parsnip fritters that
are more recognizable in the modern sense in the 16th and 17th
centuries, but we're still probably not talking about big ol' hunks
of chicken.

I agree with the idea that this may be inspired by the modern variant
of Chicken Parmigiana, but rather than come up with reasons why it
may not be period (since we're not, in fact, pursuing research with a
known result in mind), the simplest thing may be to ask the cook for
a source.

Adamantius