[Sca-cooks] Favorite Healthy period dishes, recent study on vitamin absorption

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Mon Aug 14 08:15:05 PDT 2006

Good point about some vitamins being fat soluble though I'd point out
that for most folks, an undressed salad is pretty unhappy (not me, mind
you, organic interesting greens taste good right out of the bag/garden
to me ;))

Lets see...medieval dishes that incorporate the modern idea of
"healthy"....

1. carrots in almond milk is a great tasting sumptuous dish that's
vegan! (like mashed carrots, but instead of butter use almond milk. Cook
the carrots in white wine with some fresh herbs. Yum!) from the German
corpus

2. salats, as pointed out previously. A light vinegrette or even just
tossing with vinegar and a splash of oil. Yum!

3. the Elizabethan chicken and apple salad. Chicken bits tossed with
apple, uber thin onion and lemon with a splash of good olive oil and
salt and pepper

4. funges and frumenty. Mushrooms are stewed in veggie broth and spices
and served over barley cooking in broth. No fat, if you skip the egg
that is in the medieval recipe (which I would only do for me at home, or
if someone was vegan and they asked me really really nicely ahead of
time)

and all that is what is on the top of my head. I'm sure I can ocme up
with a ton more.

Serving rich sauces on the side can help our dietarily challenged
friends make smart choices as well. They can add as much or as little as
they like, or skip it altogether.

Is this what you had in mind?

--AM