[Sca-cooks] Elizabethan chicken salad

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Mon Aug 14 10:31:32 PDT 2006

here's the recipe taht we published in our Elizabethan Feudal Gourmet
pamphlet "Dining on the Edge". All rights reserved, no publication without
permission, blah blah blah ;)

enjoy! this one is a HUGE hit every time we do it :)

--AM
****************

Sallet of Cold Hen

This is a wonderful cold chicken salad. The apple gives it crunch, the parsley
gives it color and the lemon and onion flavors meld beautifully for a clean, crisp
taste. We found it a delightful foil to the rest of a course of a full Elizabethan
dinner, which tends towards the heavy and rich and sweet. If you wish to be totally
accurate, start with a whole cooked chicken, remove the legs and mince the meat
from the body. For large banquets, we start with boneless skinless breasts purely
for the ease of preparation, sauteeing them in a bit of olive oil.

The Court and Kitchen of Elizabeth Commonly called Joan Cromwell, 1664 . From Pepys
at Table.

A Sallet of a Cold Hen or Pullet.
Take a hen and roast it, let it be cold, carve up the legs, take the flesh and
mince it small, shred a lemmon and a little parsley and onions, an apple, a little
pepper, and salt, with oyle and vinegar; garnish the dish with the bones and lemon
peel and so serve it.

Our Version:
Sallet of Cold Hen
Serves 12  as a side dish,  4 to 6 as a main course.
1 whole roasting chicken
2 lemons
3 oz onions
2 large granny smith apples
1/2 cup parsley, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
8 tsp. good quality olive oil
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Bake chicken at 350o for 1 hour, until done, but not petrified.
remove skin and cube chicken.
Peel and chop lemon, being sure not to get any bitter white part (an easy way to do
this: slice the lemon into rounds. Use the knife to circle around the lemon slice
and remove the peel and outer membranes.
Slice the onion paper thin.
Chop the apples into the same size chunks as the chicken.
Mix all the ingredients together very thoroughly.
Cover and chill at least two hours, but no more than 12.
Serve garnished with lemon twists and some boiled chicken leg bones.