[Sca-cooks] Favorite Healthy period dishes, recent study on vitamin absorption

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 15:51:31 PDT 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 6:09 PM, Tom Vincent wrote:

> Pass.

Ah. I see. Well, okay. I guess there can be reasoned idea flow anyway...

The possibilities I see are that they're there for flavor, in which
case reducing them somewhat would probably not change the character
of the dish in a really significant way. Eliminating them entirely
probably would certainly pump less dangerous saturated fat into the
consumer, but also would definitely not taste the same.

Or, they're there for moisture and richness; beef and many of the
fowl listed are probably somewhat leaner and dryer than we're used to
today, with the exception of the capons. We've already spoken of the
extent to which the fats can be reduced and eliminated without
essentially creating another meat pie with beef and birds, but not
something really close to this 15th-century beef and bird pie. Which
is not a bad thing as long as we're honest about what we're doing,
and why we're doing it.

Or maybe they're there simply to give modern cooks with an eye on the
cholesterol count a hard time, but I sincerely doubt it.

Air exclusion/preservation? Maybe, but more likely in the later
recipes with butter...

Anybody else?

Adamantius