[Sca-cooks] Powered blenders

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 17:07:26 PDT 2006

On Aug 14, 2006, at 7:12 PM, Mark Hendershott wrote:

> 	Some while ago there was a discussion here of gas engined
> blenders.  I received a catalog from Northern Tool today.  They a
> sell one quart blender with a 23cc gas engine.  $250 for those
> comtemplating the purchase.

Sounds like fun. I was interested to see in the two-volume
"Gentlemen's Companion" (one is a sort of cookbook, the other is on
beverages, written by a guy named Baker in the 1930's, who appears to
have been the model for Thurston Howell III -- an ode and instruction
guide to the Manly Art of Cookery as practiced by any number of
people he encounters while his yacht is anchored off the sunny coast
of such-and-such a place in the summer of 1926 while his Filipino
houseboy mixes the martinis...)

One of the most interesting things, apart from its simple
entertainment value (he's a little too scared of onion and garlic for
my tastes, but then so were many Americans in the '30's) is his
detailed description of an amazing machine he had encountered, and
now proudly owns. He feels the need to describe it in detail because
evidently his contemporary readers will not have encountered this
amazing device elsewhere. He refers, of course, to the amazing Waring
patent-pending Mechanical Food Blender, henceforth referred to as The
Blender.

Adamantius