[Sca-cooks] Images of Dining in Ireland 1581

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Aug 21 10:50:38 PDT 2006

> Well, we've talked about this pretty extensively, but mostly, AFAIK,
> from within the dread, murky realm of "archaeological
> evidence" (which is usually a SCAdian euphemism for no
> documentation ;-)  ).

Whereas, bizarrely, in the real world, the "archaeological evidence" dug
up out of the ground is considered rather more reliable than textual
evidence.

For instance, Thomas Hill may give me textual evidence that cucumbers
were grown in long glass tubes to give them an attractive shape; but
Hill also gives me a number of recipes for soaking seeds in various
waters to make the resulting fruits taste or smell of the water. So,
should archaologists find a shattered glass tube containing fragments of
cucumber skin and seed in layers that date to our period, I can consider
that reliable archaelogical evidence corroborating the textual evidence.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net