[Sca-cooks] Period Jewish Recipes

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Mon Aug 21 19:35:31 PDT 2006

Am Dienstag, 22. August 2006 01:41 schrieb lilinah at earthlink.net:

> There are several recipes identified as Jewish in the Anonymous
> Andalusian Cookbook, but that doesn't guarantee they are really
> Jewish. However, given the food rules of Muslims and Jews, the dishes
> are certainly potentially Jewish...
>
> "A Drizzle of Honey" has recipes invented by the authors based on
> slim testimony against Jews by neighbors and servants in late 15th c.
> Spain, so they aren't really period Jewish recipes.
>
> I have not noticed any recipes identified as Jewish in other European
> cookbooks.

They are rather unlikely to turn up there. Unlike in many parts of the
medieval Muslim world, the Jews of Europe largely lived a parallel existence
separate from their Christian neighbours after the thirteenth century
(apparently this was quite different before then, but cookbook manuscripts
are thin on the ground then). Their written culture was in Hebrew, to the
point that the Ashkenasi Jews wrote their native tongue - a German dialect -
in the Hebrew alphabet. If we wanted to find Jewish recipes, that is most
likely where we must look. Does anyone know of scholarly research in that
direction? I'm no Hebraist, unfortunately.

Giano