[Sca-cooks] Harry Potter references

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 22 09:20:15 PDT 2006

>Time to rerun my personal interpretation of the Houses of Hogwarts vs. the
>Peerage Orders / main fields of endeavor of the SCA:

>Royal Peers/landed nobility:  Slytherin, concerned with power

Ahem!
Kind of a bad connotation there....
Especially since many Royals are also Peers of other "Houses".

I do think that Slytherin gets sort of a bad rap. I mean, just because
someone is ambitious doesn't mean they are necessarily evil. One of
my best friends would probably be considered Slytherin and he is
very concerned with honor and doing the right thing. But he is also
extremely Type A and pretty much has to be the best at whatever
he pursues.

Probably most of our politicians would be Slytherin (the HP version
of Skull and Bones, maybe) and most "A" list actors would be
alums. But Rowling always seems to protray them as either stupid,
ugly thugs or scheming cheaters with one foot in the Dark Side.
That's why I rather liked the character in the last book who was
in it for power and influence but a major force against Voldemort.

And I don't think I would be Slytherin anyway. Maybe Hufflepuff
or Griffyndor if the hat were feeling charitable.

>Selene

Gunthar