[Sca-cooks] Simon Bolivar's Pemmican

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 03:44:19 PDT 2006

I checked with several Spanish specialized in Bolivars military
campaigns but nobody speak of some special rations. They said the men
had may times only platains and salt to eat.
Ana

On 8/28/06, Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> The only thing I remember is that Simon Bolivar took cattle with him for
> food when he made the assault over the Andes.  He lost over half the cattle
> and about 1000 of his 2500 men.  Considering the many military blunders
> Bolivar made, I seriously question his organizational skills, but not his
> charisma.
>
> I also vaguely remember Simon Bolivar Buckner, the Civil War general, as
> having wound up with pemmican as part of his rations.  But that bears some
> research.
>
> Bear
>
> > Was discussing Wars in general, and Simon Bolivar came up, with some
> > of the changes he made to the then-current army organization by
> > Europeans. One of the more intriguing details, was that as a journey
> > food, he developed and used a variant of pemmican that was compact and
> > nutritious enough for a soldier to carry 5 days of rations with him at
> > all times.
> >
> > I've been searching the "Net, but haven't had any luck finding a
> > recipe for this substance. Can any of you, who are more skilled with
> > the 'Net perhaps find me that recipe? I'm thinking, knowing what I do
> > about travel foods, and pemmican in general, that it should contain a
> > mix of dried meat, fat, and likely local berries/fruits, but a
> > specific recipe would be a great help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Saint Phlip

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci