[Sca-cooks] Foods from our youth

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 28 12:16:26 PDT 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 1:41 PM, ysabeau wrote:

> I remember being shocked that you could use hot dog buns for
> things other than hot dogs! My aunt, who doesn't cook, once served
> hot dog buns topped with bacon or ham and topped with american
> cheese and then toasted it. It was good, but I remember I kept
> thinking "This is dinner? And we aren't going to get in trouble
> for eating junk?" ~lol~

There was an article within the last couple of weeks, either in the
NY Times or the Village Voice, I forget which, about The One True New
England Lobster Roll, with sharp divisions between those serving them
hot and cold, with melted butter or mayo, mayo, onion, celery, etc.
Everyone else's method is wrong...

Just funny to see roadside stands selling food -- any food -- in hot
dog buns for $16.95...

Of course, I've sold both lobster and fried oyster club sandwiches
for that, but never in a hot dog bun. Possibly this is due to
childhood trauma on an occasion when my aunt Joan, a wonderful woman
in all other respects, cooked a large quantity of frankfurters by
placing them inside buns and laying them on a cookie sheet in the
oven, causing hot dog juice to soak into the buns and soggify/gummify
them, while creating a lovely and deceptive brown crust on the outside.

It took me a while before I would even try saucisson en brioche...

Adamantius