[Sca-cooks] OK, since we're all kids burning food, here's another one...

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Aug 29 10:33:09 PDT 2006

On 8/29/06, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius

> Incidentally, you could do all sorts of cool and highly dangerous
> stuff in big cities, once upon a time, back when people had common
> sense, took responsibility for their own screw-ups, and fun was
> legal. Some of these hijinks included fire use of some (theoretically
> benign) form, and apparently people used to cook over open fires on
> city streets somewhat more often than they do now. There was a well-
> known NY gangster and Tammany thug at the turn of the 20th century
> named Chuck Connors (not the "Rifleman" star) who, even after he
> became quite a wealthy man, would still enjoy a chuck steak cooked
> over an open fire of scrap lumber at the side of the street, for old
> times' sake, and this was said the be the source of his nickname.
>
> Adamantius

Well, Adamantius, one reason nowadays not to cook anywhere, including
on city streets, using scrap lumber, is that most lumber nowadays id
treated for rot-and-what-not resistance, and the treatments, when
burned tend to give off lovely chemicals like cyanide- not exactly my
preferred seasoning for a cook-out. And a lot of wood today is
plywood, or else pressed chip board, and Heaven only knows what's in
the various glues they use....

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up