[Sca-cooks] Foods from our youth

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 29 16:16:15 PDT 2006

Well, this is going to be embarrassing...

My mom didn't cook. We had a full-time live-in maid, Ophelia, who did
the housework, cooking, laundry, "baby sitting", etc.

Perhaps my favorite dinner was when the family ate at Fritzel's, an
elegant restaurant that had been a nightclub in the 1940s, near the
Chicago Loop, when the Loop was an elegant place to shop (i just
heard that Sullivan designed Carson, Pirie, Scott, & Co. department
store is closing, although the building, an historic landmark, will
be preserved - and Marshall Field & Co. will become a Macy's).

I usually ordered the Maine lobster and filet mignon combo [NOT NOT
NOT called "surf'n'turf" gag puke barf]. I was not even a teenager,
but i knew what i liked by the time i was 9.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

who hasn't eaten Maine lobster in decades... sigh...