[Sca-cooks] marshmallows

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Wed Aug 30 07:51:09 PDT 2006

>	I wonder how it would work if you used a marshmallow as a topping on a
>chocolate pudding (with a graham cracker crust), and flamed it just before
>serving, much as you'd put the sugar crust on a creme brulee?
>--Maire, apparently full of weird ideas tonight, but blaming it quite
>entirely on the Irish Cream she's been consuming....<g>

Hm... I'm not a pudding fan.  But I like your thinking.  I'm imagining
in a tart pan, graham cracker crust, thin layer of ganache, layer of
marshmallow.  Instead of a conventional graham cracker crust, make
graham cracker dough and press it out into the tart pan as a crust and
bake it.  Flame the marshmallow, as you described, maybe stick an artful
little triangle of additional graham cracker out of the top of each
slice at a jaunty angle.  The whole thing would be thin and firm enough
to pick up and eat with your fingers (it would be sticky, but isn't that
the point of s'mores?)  I'm partial to homemade marshmallow, mostly
because I'm a geek that way.  But, mini marshmallows would make for a
pretty darned cute presentation.

And, I must say... your Irish Creme sounds like it would be a loverly
addition to this recipe.  Maybe a dash of it in the ganache?  :D

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

'Normal' is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes, car, and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it. -Ellen Goodman

[T]o admit authorities, however heavily furred and gowned, into our libraries and let them tell us how to read, what to read, what value to place upon what we read, is to destroy the spirit of freedom which is the breath of those sanctuaries. -Virginia Woolf