[Sca-cooks] on topic: Healthy Feasts - was OT: diet, was sugar problems

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Aug 5 13:05:43 PDT 2006

On Aug 5, 2006, at 12:58 PM, Tom Vincent wrote:

> In the SCA, are any cooks/chefs/feastocrats consciously (or
> conscientiously) adjusting feast menus to cut back on the fats and
> increase the use of healthier ingredients?  I'm often horrified at the
> amount of cheeses, meats, butter & oil that goes into so many of the
> dishes I see (or help) prepare at feasts.  The only way I can justify
> partaking in the feasts is by working a few pounds off in the kitchen
> beforehand and being a server during. :)

Which is probably pretty close to what our period counterparts did,
in addition to burning more calories simply to keep warm.

Do our health-conscious fighters acknowledge the potential hazards in
striking each other with a three-pound rattan whip, and say, "I could
have hit you there, so you should just acknowledge the blow. And by
the way, I'm Crown Prince now" ?

Our goal is to contribute to the period ambiance, and, ideally, to
directly educate about period food. If diners don't already have some
basic idea of nutrition, serving them healthy food one day a week
isn't going to reverse the damage they're probably doing the rest of
the time.

Yes, it could be a problem if partaking of an SCA feast becomes the
equivalent of a Thanksgiving or other holiday pig-out once (or twice)
a week, every week, but this is a matter for personal responsibility,
IMO.

Adamantius