[Sca-cooks] Alfredo

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Aug 7 10:40:58 PDT 2006

On Aug 7, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Kathleen Madsen wrote:

> I made my first real alfredo sauce last night -
> YUUUUMMMYYY!!!!  I practically licked the pan.  We had
> a visitor come and stay for a few days and they
> insisted on going out and buying some of that canned
> alfredo glop.  She *loves* the stuff but I couldn't
> eat it.  The texture was awful and the flavor was just
> wrong!
>
> We're going to be staying with my parents for a couple
> of months when we move back to the East Coast.  I have
> a feeling that I will be doing most of the cooking as
> they have taken to eating TV dinners in recent years.
>
> Eibhlin

Erm, not to be too much of a stickler or to deny the changing world
and all, but since the sauce on the fettucine special served at
Alfredo's in Rome, a.k.a. Fettucine Alfredo, consists of a little of
the salted, boiling water the pasta was cooked in, a special white
unsalted butter from a farm outside of Rome, grated Parmigiano, and
maybe some pepper, what are people putting into their Alfredo sauce,
real or otherwise?

I could see the advantage of a premade sauce in a food-service
setting, and have a pretty good idea what I'd put in it if I had to
do that, but I'm curious as to what other people do.

Maybe we should talk about "Caesar Salad Dressing" instead ;-) ?

Adamantius, who was once a professional Caesar Salad Dressing maker,
but only because we sold about 80 Caesar Salads an hour and didn't
have time to do it the "real" way...