[Sca-cooks] Caffeine : people/ADD and ADHD

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 7 18:50:08 PDT 2006

otsisto wrote:
> I get my caffeine in the form of chocolate. :) I knew that in the average
> person that an over consumption of caffeine worked in reverse but I never
> connected it to why I felt sleepy after having tea or lots of chocolate
> (sorry, hate the taste of coffee)
> Speaking of chocolate, someone gave me this recipe. and I was wondering if
> someone has made this and how easy is it to make? It looks simple enough.
>
> Marquise au Chocolat
> 6 oz. semisweet chocolate chopped
> 4 tbsp butter, softened
> 4 lg eggs, separated
> 2 tbsp rum, brandy or liquor (opt)
> dash of cream of tartar
>
> Sauce
> 2 1/2 cps cream or whole milk
> 9 egg yolks
> 1/4 cp baker's sugar
> 1 tsp vanilla extract (or one vanilla bean)
> 1 tbsp instant coffee powder, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water.
>
> Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, making it smooth.
>
> Melt chocolate by placing in a bowl and setting it over hot water or
> microwave it. Once melted, add butter. Add one at a time the egg yolks. Add
> the rum, brandy or liquor at this time if using.
> In a separate bowl, beat slowly the egg whites till frothy. Add cream of
> tartar, beat egg whites till soft peaks form. Stir into the chocolate
> mixture one third of the egg whites, then fold in the rest. Pour into the
> loaf pan, smooth the top and cover with plastic wrap, then freeze. Slice
> with unflavored dental floss.
>
> Sauce
> Simmer milk/cream over medium heat (add vanilla bean, if using). Whisk eggs
> and sugar until thick and smooth. (remove vanilla bean, if using) Gradually
> whisk the egg mixture into the hot milk. Lower the heat and stir till
> thickened. Strain custard into a cool bowl. Stir in vanilla (if not using
> the VB)and coffee. Set aside to cool, stirring occasionally, then
> refrigerate.
>
> Invert loaf pan. Remove plastic wrap. slice with unflavored dental floss or
> thin wire. Serve sauce over the slices.
>
> (Since I don't like coffee I was thinking raspberry sauce)

Sounds wonderful...a lot like a frozen mousse with a sauce.  While I
adore chocolate and coffee flavors together, I am also REALLY fond of
chocolate and raspberry!  So I suspect either would work nicely.  I'd be
curious to see if it'd work with splenda rather than sugar.  I do
Selene's Dread Chocolate Mousse with splenda and it works perfectly, so
I suspect it'd work here...which means that it would move from the
"forbidden" list to the ok list.

Kiri