[Sca-cooks] Images of Dining in Ireland 1581

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Tue Aug 8 18:55:05 PDT 2006

On Aug 8, 2006, at 9:36 PM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> It does say
> Another lacking pannes. to boyle the flesh, his hide prepare
>
> Johnnae

Well, we've talked about this pretty extensively, but mostly, AFAIK,
from within the dread, murky realm of "archaeological
evidence" (which is usually a SCAdian euphemism for no
documentation ;-)  ). However, seeing it being done, it occurs to me
that the science involved is fairly simple: no matter what else
happens, with a reasonable amount of care, there's no way the
temperature of the hide is going above 212F (or so) until the liquid
boils away.

At first I was pretty sure they were deep-frying Mars bars.

Adamantius