[Sca-cooks] Images of Dining in Ireland 1581

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 8 21:21:09 PDT 2006

Johnnae wrote:
Browsing this evening, I came across The Image of Irelande, by John Derrick
(London, 1581). The most famous plate of the set shows the chief of the
Mac Sweynes seated at dinner and being entertained by a bard and a harper.

Oh wow, how ever did you find this!? It's fabulous! There's a picture of
them cooking with a skin over a fire in 1581! I've been looking for
evidence of leather vessels, and here is an early period example of one in
a late period woodcut. Did you notice the two figures on the right? It
looks like they are mooning the guest!
~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.