[Sca-cooks] Threat Levels at Airports

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 10 11:48:57 PDT 2006

On Aug 10, 2006, at 2:24 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

> Remember, the SCA got it's start in 1966 in the Bay Area (IIRC,
> MZB's house
> was in (the People's Republic of ) Berkley).  Back in the days of
> "Peace and
> Protest" a lot of little oddball organizations got watched veddy
> closely.
> (And then there is the tale of the two dukes who broke a police
> line for fun
> during one of the Berkeley riots in the late 60's.  Apochryphal,
> I'm sure.)

I know of at least one person here in Ostgardr who became involved in
training auxilliary police in riot control.

> The Norman PD used to watch the SCA after it came to Oklahoma in
> the 70's,
> but that may have been for entertainment rather than any serious
> consideration of villianous intent.  Fighter practice was in a park
> across
> the street fom the PD headquarters.  We also had some county
> sheriffs called
> out on us from time to time (uninformed locals mistaking melees for
> a gang
> rumble), but these days, we're just part of the local color.
>
> Koris Natterhelm did get involved with the Dallas PD about the time he
> became King of Atenveldt.  He helped the riot control officers work
> out how
> to use baton and riot shield to disarm sword swinging Iranian
> protestors
> without taking a lot of damage.

Drill Instructor: At ease. Private, I've been watching you practice.
What was your rank in the SCA?

Private A.: Duke, sir!

Drill Instructor: I thought so.

Private B.: Sir, what does 'SCA' mean?

Drill Instructor: It means you can't beat him.

Private B.: Sir, what does 'Duke' mean?

Drill Instructor: It means I can't beat him.

Apocryphal, also, but told of Vissevald Selkirkson...

Adamantius