[Sca-cooks] Jewish fish story was Cat Parasite

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Aug 10 17:11:00 PDT 2006

Gee, I can only follow this up by mentioning the NYT article
Tuesday-- Tale of the Tapeworm (Squeamish Readers Stop Here)
By LARRY ZAROFF, M.D.
Published: August 8, 2006
"This is a Jewish fish story. Or more accurately a Jewish fishworm story.
My mother, like her mother, was an expert Jewish cook, their specialties
famous in our extended family. Their secret: taste as you go. Season
slowly until the perfect flavor comes through.
It’s a safe technique with latkes or kreplach but not always with
gefilte fish, a ground concoction of freshwater fish, spices, eggs, salt
and matzo meal.
My mother never became sick from tasting raw fish, but, by chance,
gefilte fish turned out to be a formidable problem for my medical
partner’s wife, Rita."

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/08/health/08case.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Johnnae