[Sca-cooks] menu planning for dietary restrictions

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 13 09:18:12 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
wine replacing the tomato base completely.

I can only assume it was period, as the chef doesn't seem to go for
non-period dishes, from what I've observed.  SNIP < < < <

There is what could be described as a relative (to the vast numbers of
recipes available) dearth/scarcity of breaded, deep fried dishes in the
mainstream medieval corpus.  Meaning the texts most commonly used and
discussed among the scholarly types in SCA cookery.  There may be some here
and there, but the construction you described to me would suggest two things
for me to determine its likelihood of being a recreation of an extant
recipe:  1) I need to ask the guy where it came from ad 2) I need to read
the original to find out what the text actually says.  Any assumption of
accurate historical recipe recreation could very easily be misplaced; though
this could be one of the unusual ones that are scattered out there in
prmiary cookery texts.

niccolo difrancesco