[Sca-cooks] British Library catalogue

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 14 08:37:24 PDT 2006

British Library has been up for sometime as has LoC.
I can remember doing online searches at LC in the '70's.
Bibliotheque Nationale is up too as are most of the
rest of the National Libraries in one form or another. Far more
valuable for those interested in library catalogues
is access to RLIN which gives one ESTC and FirstSearch
for OCLC. I started searching on OCLC in 1975.
(I did my initial cataloguing class with the head of cataloguing at the
British Library.) Reading catalogues and bibliographies is rather a
pastime of mine.
The question is what do you do with the information once you have
it. Do you read through 1500 or 2000 entries in order to verify an entry
or locate an item? Do you trace all editions? Do you verify authors?

Johnnae