[Sca-cooks] Elizabethan chicken salad

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Aug 14 13:29:47 PDT 2006

I am reminded that when we were at Cambridge, the Cambridgeshire library
system
 published this rather narrow paperback titled
Mrs. Cromwell's Cookery Book. The Court and Kitchen of Elizabeth
Wife of Oliver Cromwell. The paperback included The Court and Kitchen of
Elizabeth
Cromwell, Commonly called Joan Cromwell which was published in 1664 .
The original publication was intended to
show just what a horrible housewife she was in contrast to the
more elegant volumes of the Restoration Court.
What it did was of course preserve a rather good collection of
seventeenth century recipes.
The libraries sold it for 2.95 pounds.

Johnnae