[Sca-cooks] Favorite Healthy period dishes, recent study on vitamin absorption

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Tue Aug 15 08:08:50 PDT 2006

Hi from Anne-Marie, with science geek hat on....

Its true that the fat globules in goats milk are smaller than the ones
in cows milk, making it easier for some people to digest. But lactose is
lactose, regardless of the source. And in fact, goat milk is often
higher in fat than cows milk, which by the time you buy it has been
standardardized to about 4% butterfat (point of reference...my Nubians
would produce milk at about 18% butterfat, while my saanens were about
12% or more, and the alpines were a mere 8%...) an exception to this
would be Jersey milk, but unless you're getting from a Jersey specialty
dairy... and those smaller fat globules? Means the milk is naturally
homogenized, sure, but that means all that fat is IN the milk, not
having been easily scraped off the top...(I spent MANY Hours separating
the cream from our goats milk with a big ol' tinned metal contraption.
Mmmm. Goats milk ice cream....)

Add to that the fact that most goats milk is either raw (ie much shorter
shelf life, so potential of spoilage) or so over processed its really
nasty :P and I really was wondering where folks thought that goat milk
was healthier.

Now, don't get me wrong. Fresh milk from animals with names I DO believe
is healthier than the stuff from the store (hormones, over processing,
over packaging, etc) but that has nothing to do with the species of the
source.

I also fully accept the idea that the culture youre focusing on will
potentially change your milk source. Cows like big grassey fields and
lots of rain. Goats and sheep like Greece and the Pyranees ;). But I'd
be careful about assuming anything. As I said, given the prevalence of
visual sources like manuscript illos for medieval western Europe, I'd be
very hesitant to say that goats or sheep was the primary milk source for
them.

Lastly, when producing food for large numbers of folks, I'd be hesitant
to use milk that hadn't been brucellosis and DHI tested. The potential
of impact on anyone with immune system problems, or the very old or the
very young is just too scary for me.

Just my observations...
--AM