[Sca-cooks] Too Healthy to Post?

ysabeau ysabeau at mail.ev1.net
Wed Aug 16 07:38:29 PDT 2006

Mmmmm...I looove fresh tomatoes, but I can't grow them. In the
Texas heat, if I forget for one day to not water them twice a day,
they die. I have a brown thumb!

Anyway, I have found something healthy that my daughter loves
(she's 10 and picky). It is really not a recipe but she loves
toasted open faced sandwiches. I always put a couple of slices of
tomatoes on it before I toast it and it brings out the tomato
flavor beautifully. I just use ciabatta bread cut into sandwich
size and sliced down the middle and layer whatever kind of pesto I
have on hand, lunchmeat (usually turkey), a couple of slices of
tomato, and asiago or provolone cheese. I pop it in the toaster
and I have open-faced pannini!

One of my favorite pestos right now is a sun-dried tomato pesto. I
buy it in a jar at the grocery store in the winter to use on
sandwiches instead of mayo. During the summer, I go to the
farmer's market where a guy has a stand selling nothing but
different varieties of pesto based on whatever is in season. He
has a great sun-dried tomato chipotle pesto that really adds some
kick to a sandwich! Maybe you can dry some of your tomatoes and
turn them into pesto!

Ysabeau