[Sca-cooks] Harry Potter references

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Aug 23 00:00:08 PDT 2006

At 09:20 AM 8/22/2006, you wrote:

> >Time to rerun my personal interpretation of the Houses of Hogwarts vs. the
> >Peerage Orders / main fields of endeavor of the SCA:
>
> >Royal Peers/landed nobility:  Slytherin, concerned with power
>
>Ahem!
>Kind of a bad connotation there....
>Especially since many Royals are also Peers of other "Houses"

 From the informal, non-scientific polling I've been running, I have come
up with several different things:

1) It appears that everyone has a 'dominant' House, and that many people
have a 'recessive' House. I am Gryffindor with a Ravenclaw recessive. My
sweetie is Ravenclaw with a Slytherin recessive. It would appear that Harry
could have gone either way, but he consciously *chose* Gryffindor over
Slytherin.

2) Laurels, aspirants, and other research-based types tend to fall into
Ravenclaw.

3) Pelicans have a large number of Hufflepuffs among their ranks and those
of the service-oriented folks.

4) It seems that the Chiv is pretty well even between Gryffindor and
Slytherin. There are some well-defined roles filled by both types. The
Gryffs are the Heroes, who rely on courage to accomplish things. A lot of
Gryff fighters remind me of Lancelot in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Fearless, but not necessarily having discretion. Slytherin fighters are
calculating, tactical, and shrewd. Put the Slytherin in back to direct the
storming of the castle, and send the Gryffindors to the front lines where
their courage will propel them. A smart commander will be able to see the
differences in his troops and make use of them.

>And I don't think I would be Slytherin anyway. Maybe Hufflepuff
>or Griffyndor if the hat were feeling charitable.
>
>Gunthar

Gryff, Gunthar. Don't know about a recessive, but you have a great deal of
courage- more than you know.

'Lainie
Gryffindor '83