[Sca-cooks] Writing your favorite recipe in a period style

Linda Peterson mirhaxa at morktorn.com
Wed Aug 23 09:19:58 PDT 2006

Yes, chilies grow everywhere and anyone can grow very good ones. But Hatch
chilies are a commercially grown product that the rest of the state will
buy -in preference- to growing their own, unusual since a home grown
product is almost always much better.

In another week or two the whole city will be redolent with the scent of
roasting chili peppers, as grocery store, vegetable markets and roadside
stands set up 2x3 foot barrel shaped metal mesh baskets rotating over gas
burners to roast the chilies to order. This is done to get the thin outer
skins off, but also adds to the flavor.

Mirhaxa
   mirhaxa at morktorn.com

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Tom Vincent wrote:
>    No, not really.  The charm of peppers is that they grow is such a wide variety of
climate and soil conditions.  I get good peppers here in the MD/PA/DE area, on par with
the ones I enjoyed back in AZ and CA.  Good ones are grown in LA, of course, TX, NM...all
through the South, West, Midwest & Mid-Atlantic.  Don't know about the North Plain states.