[Sca-cooks] BMI: Food for Thought

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 25 09:05:37 PDT 2006

On Aug 25, 2006, at 11:55 AM, Tom Vincent wrote:

> After our interesting discussion about BMI a few weeks ago:  This
> appeared in Wednesday's USAToday. - Duriel
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-23-food-for-
> thought-edit_x.htm
>

> Food for thought
> Posted 8/23/2006 9:12 PM ET

>  <snip>

> Witness the civil disobedience campaign on display in Chicago. This
> week, some of Chicago's finest eateries defied a new city ordinance
> by serving foie gras, a delicacy made from the liver of geese and
> ducks that have been force-fed until their livers are bloated.
> Patrons joined in the protest by enjoying the delicacy with pan-
> seared scallops, in salads and in myriad other dishes, gallantly
> laying down their credit cards for the benefit of humankind and the
> advancement of culinary rights.

It may be worth noting that many modern foie gras producers, and all
the American ones, AFAIK, don't use the old cattle-horn funnel or
force-feed their geese and ducks, but instead use a drop of some
pheromone to induce appetite in the birds (the chemical is not in the
food). I suppose the end result is the same, but arguably it is a
little more humane, by some standards.

Adamantius