[Sca-cooks] OOP: Query on Steak Smothered In Onions...

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 14:57:36 PDT 2006

> Another, but different, cousin is the smothered country fried
> steak.  This breaded and braised jewel is all southern, but
> disappeared for a while from anywhere I could find it. It's
> popping back up 17 years later in restaurants again.
> Basically a dredged (flour-egg-flour) cubed steak of some
> variey (the whole muscle nearly minced state) pan fried,
> removed, and then braised for a short while in the pan gravy
> assembled from the pan drippings.  It's h at ll on the arteries
> and the BMI, but it is a true comfort food in some southern
> households.  Heresy in other who contend the gravy is ONLY
> for the rice/mashed potatoes/insert starch here.  Used to be
> a diner staple, but went away for a while.  It will be back
> in force in a coupleyears as it gets back into the small,
> independent, home-cooking shops.
>
> niccolo

Has never really "gone away" in Texas, and I believe has always been
part of the menu for the "Grandy's" chain of restaurants.

Best variation on the theme I've ever wrapped my gums around used a thin
rib-eye steak w/o the cubing -- but still marvelously tender inside the
chicken-fry battered coating, under the cream gravy.  (Eh, the gravy
could have been better, but the *steak* was excellent -- and the same
hole-in-the-wall also sold this as a chicken-fried steak sandwich
without the gravy: lettuce, tomato, mayo, and the steak.)

DARN, this is making me hungry!  Fortunately, it's suppertime now...

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe (Mike C. Baker)
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em | alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com OR
MCBaker216 at cs.com
Buy my writings!: http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen |