[Sca-cooks] How long do whole spices last??

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Aug 25 19:47:25 PDT 2006

The long-lost Phillipa Seton asked:
<<< Can someone tell me how long whole spices last? I have some that
are at
least 5 years old.  >>>

At least they are whole spices. It will depend somewhat on what the
spices are. Even whole, some spices last longer than others.  This
may have been answered while I was off at Pennsic, but just in case
it hasn't, some of the estimates on how long various spices will
last, from previous discussions, can be found in this file:

spice-storage-msg (24K)  5/13/06    Period and modern spice storage.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PLANTS/spice-storage-msg.html

Although less important than with powdered spices, it also matters
how the spices are packaged and stored. That too, is covered in this
file.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas