[Sca-cooks] OOP: Query on Steak Smothered In Onions...

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Aug 25 20:41:34 PDT 2006

I have spent part of today pulling books and looking for this.
(Why do I have a feeling that John Thorne has done this?)
It's not in the Oxford two volume set on American cuisine.
A lot of American volumes are boxed, so that's no good.
I will mention and this probably part of the story that
John T. Edge in the volume Hamburgers & Fries includes a chapter
 titled "Hard Time Onions." It discusses that there came to be
a liberal use of onions during the depression because onions
were cheap and added flavor to really cheap cuts.One entire
chapter of the book tackles the famed Onion Burger of El Reno
Oklahoma (Bear and Margaret should chime in here) where
"The Fried Onion Burger Day Festival is a tribute to the aromatic,
unique burgers, which have been cooked daily in El Reno since the early
1900's."
http://www.elreno.org/tour/events.asp
http://scotthutcheson.typepad.com/scott_hutcheson/2006/08/pride_of_oklaho.html

But back to the phrase "Steak smothered in onions" where things get
interesting.
How about "BEEFSTEAK SMOTHERED IN ONIONS. Cut one dozen onions into
slices, fry a quarter pound
... Have ready a broiled steak, place it in the pan with the onions"
which appears in an 1896 Manual for Army Cooks.
The recipe is up at
http://books.google.com/books?vid=0MtsC3gPgrGafaH2pB&id=7Ydbg7ZHfncC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=steak+smothered+in+onions
There's even a Welsh method for the dish.

There are some 482 pages that Google Book finds for
the phrase in quotes "steak smothered in onions."
Here's another  one this time from 1893 and the
Housekeeper's Guide: A Choice Collection of Recipes, Tried, Tested, Proved
By Pa.). Ladies' Aid Society Methodist Episcopal Church (Honesdale)
http://books.google.com/books?vid=0cZNH8-tqVD2ybjsnJV&id=TsFx_6N-5D0C&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=steak+smothered+in+onions
This one is 1894 and in Cookery Craft: As Practiced in 1894 by the Women
of the South Church, St Johnsbury, Vt.
http://books.google.com/books?vid=0QYpJD7u4nw6nhIdgPR&id=7_UKvB2zatgC&pg=PA58&lpg=PA58&dq=steak+smothered+in+onions

There are lots more, but I think I will quit for now.
I just came across this quote
"My favorite menu is *steak smothered* with *onions* and strawberry
shortcake." The speaker
is Governor Ronald Reagan speaking in the book Governor Reagan: His Rise
to Power.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis