[Sca-cooks] "Carbonara 'Sauce' -- Convenience Food or Trigger for Armageddon?"

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sat Aug 26 05:23:04 PDT 2006

On Aug 26, 2006, at 3:45 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> =====
> Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:39:45 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] Alfredo
>
> Next week: "Carbonara 'Sauce' -- Convenience Food or Trigger for
> Armageddon?"
>
> Adamantius
> =====
>
> Okay. I think it's "Next week". How would you make Carbonara Sauce?
> And how is it usually made?
>
> Stefan
> (Yes, I'm being serious.)

1. Boil salted water for pasta (trad. spaghetti)
2. Fry/render/brown chopped pancetta or smoked hog jowl meat in a
little olive oil.
3. Remove meat, reserve in mixing/serving bowl.
4. Cook chopped onions and garlic in rendered bacon fat (see step 2).
Remove and add to bowl, including fat.
5. Grate Parmigiano; add to bowl.
6. Salt and pepper to taste, maybe go wild with a teeny bit of dried
sage.
7. Crack some fresh, room-temperature eggs into bowl; beat.
8. Boil pasta, drain, add to bowl, toss. Residual heat from pasta
cooks eggs somewhat, melts cheese, and allows assorted ingredients to
form a semi-smooth mixture coating pasta.
9. Serve and eat immediately, noting with astonishment that at no
time did you ever really make a sauce for your pasta, as with
Fettucine Alfredo, Linguine Puttanesca, etc.

Adamantius