[Sca-cooks] Simon Bolivar's Pemmican

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Aug 27 11:33:43 PDT 2006

While I thank you greatly for the references, I'm quite familiar with
pemmican, generally as a food- in fact I have a favorite recipe of my
own. However, I'm specificly interested in the recipe Simon Bolivar
was using for his soldiers in Bolivia, which specificly included,
among other things llama as well as other local animals' flesh (though
not vicuna, since even then it was too expensive), as well as local
(to S. America) vegetation.

My personal recipe,  by the way, lest I be called a spoon tease, is
equal amounts of dried, shredded meat and dried, seedless fruits (my
favorite combo being blueberries and cranberries) all ground very
fine, all held together with just enough rendered beef fat to make a
solid form. Pork and bear meet aren't suggested, since the drying
process doesn't really cook the meat to the right temperature, so
trichinosis might be a risk.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up