[Sca-cooks] Marshmallow Etiquette

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Aug 29 08:20:01 PDT 2006

On 8/29/06, Elise Fleming <alysk at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Adamantius wrote about Evil Spawn:
>
> >it turned out that he had not been
> >[effectively] taught how to properly roast or toast marshmallows. His
> >idea was that you basically set them on fire, allow them to turn
> >black, put out the fire and eat them.
>
> Well, my personal preference is that I char the outside (much like Evil
> Spawn does/did), remove the treat from the fire, slip off the blackened
> coat, pop it in my mouth for a hot treat, put the remaining marshmallow
> back on the fire, char the outside-or make it bubble mightily, remove the
> treat from the fire, slip off the blackened coat, pop it in my mouth for a
> hot treat, put the remaining marshmallow back on the fire... until no more
> can be charred-or mightily bubbled.  A golden brown outside and "raw"
> inside is, to me, a travesty.  Marshmallows need thorough cooking all the
> way inside!  :-)  I deemed it quite a skill to get three passes at the
> 'mallow and not let it slip off into the fire before fully consumed.
>
> Alys Katharine
>
> Elise Fleming
> alysk at ix.netcom.com
> http://home.netcom.com/~alysk/

Alys Katherine has it right ;-) We used to have contests, to see who
could get the most layers- record, I think, was 6 ;-) Not by me,
though- I tended to cut to the chase, and work on stuffing as many as
possible down my greedy little throat- chocolate bars and graham
crackers on the side.

However, marshmallow toasting is one of those things like entering
swimming areas (do you ease on in, an inch at a time, or do you just
jump into the water to get it over with?) or which way you point your
anvil- strictly a matter of preference, according to your personal
needs.

Jeeze, guys, Pennsic ended over a week ago- can't believe you're
allowing us in on a discussion of such monumental importance ;-)

Adamantius muttered:

> > So Adamantius, IMHO, leave your Evil Spawn alone.  He may like them
> > charred.  And, if he
> > doesn't, he will learn how to do them all on his own.

> Yes. In my poorly-ventilated apartment kitchen... ;-(

So, you have a balcony. Have him do it on your balcony grill. Serious
penalties for each passing pedestrian below ho manages to catch on
fire...

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up