[Sca-cooks] e: candy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 1 23:50:42 PDT 2006

Bertha asked:
\
 > Is caramel period?  Program on the food channel yesterday stated
that it
 > possibly could be period. So, with a wave of my fan and a soft
"He'p", I
 > ask...is caramel period?

In this article:
Candying-art       (9K)  6/29/99    Period and modern descriptions of
the
                                        candying process by Alys
Katharine.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/Candying-art.html

We have:
<<<   Beyond these stages of syrup modern cookbooks list the "crack" or
"snap" stage at 270°-300°F.  I have not yet seen any period
designations for this temperature.  As Hess hinted at in Martha
Washington's Booke of Cookery, stages beyond 232°F were considered
unusable for candymaking.  The final modern stage is "caramel" which
occurs at 310°-338°F.  The sugar begins to brown quickly, turn to
black, and give off a burnt odor. >>>

Perhaps not what you are thinking of though for "caramel".

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com