[Sca-cooks] Playing the Art Game Again

Holly Stockley hollyvandenberg at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 1 11:01:47 PST 2006

>It's been really quiet and the weather up here west of Ann Arbor, MI
>has been very wet with icy conditions early.Snow expected yet this
>afternoon with a high
>wind warning.

Yeah, West Michigan is getting pretty ugly, too.  about 8" so far this
morning and supposed to get more yet before 5.  The commute home should be
interesting indeed.

>The artist today is Juan van der Hamen y Leon (1596-1631)
>http://www.pages.mi.it/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/tavolaImbandita.jpg
>
>Want to weigh in with a guess as to what the iced rings are?

Looks to moi like a baumkuchen.  I've seen claims that they're 500 years
old, though never definitive evidence.  (A Baumkuchen is a cake made by
drizzling thin layers over a turning spit, adding more batter as the last
layer is baked.  Quite appropriate to the season.  And requiring a fair
degree of skill).

>Here's another
>http://www.lindamann.com/otherpainters/vdhamen.htm
>Good picture here of those fruit paste boxes that were being discussed
>last month.

I always liked this picture, since you can see what looks for all the world
like quince paste in the box.  ;-)  And I love the details:

http://www.nga.gov/cgi-bin/pimage?90303+0+0

Femke de Roas