[Sca-cooks] Brining vessels was :::Stuffing

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 3 08:11:08 PST 2006

On Dec 3, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Sue Clemenger wrote:

> I think you could tailor it to the size of the bird, but the one
> that I've
> heard of being used most often is an ice cooler (you know, the kind
> most of
> us take camping).  The bird, properly cleaned, goes into a couple
> of clean,
> unused, unscented garbage bags with the brine, and then is place in
> the
> chest, which is otherwise filled with ice or something.  I've also
> heard of
> putting bird and brine directly into the ice chest.  The trick with
> both,
> apparently, is keeping the bird properly submerged.
> All just hearsay on my part, as it's not something I've tried.  I
> only have
> myself to cook for, and no room for storage/freezing of extras.  Have
> thought of trying it with a chicken, though....

I also use plastic bags as a liner; we buy large, clear,
biodegradable recycling bags, guaranteed to contain no ingredients,
substances or stray molecules of any kind, by the case from the
wholesaler around the corner. Given where I live and the standard
late-November outdoor, nighttime temperature, I have used a large
stockpot -- my largest is a 40-quart -- which I leave out on my
balcony overnight. I'm sure this is akin to having a car up on blocks
in your yard, on some level, and we live in a co-op apartment
building with some people for whom this type of thing would signal
the dropping of property values and The End Of Civilization In
General,  but when you do this after dark and remove it early the
next morning it's not a problem. The advantages of the bag liners are
several: you can exclude air and seal the bags (I usually use a
double thickness), making turning largely unnecessary, it makes
cleanup easier, and in the case of a large aluminum pot such as the
one I use, there's no problem with reactive materials.

Adamantius

eat cake!"
"Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04