[Sca-cooks] Boiling Water in Microwave...any hear of this??

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 3 09:41:59 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
years. Yes, there's a certain amount of reality to it- under certain
conditions, the surface tension will hold strongly enough that it
won't boil and spout until disturbed, but the cure for that is to not
put your face into the microwave.

Notice the last line on this one:

> If you pass this on you could very well save someone from a lot of pain
and suffering.

Pretty much a standard with the urban legend/panic spam garbage.

Next time, may I suggest you look it up in Snopes before you pass it
along? I know you have a sincere desire to help folks, but these
little stories at best make you look gullible, at worst get people
angry at you, when you pass them to everybody.   < < < < <

But www.snopes.com classifies this as true, but rare.  So, it's not a
classic myth, and not the classic spam.  Even the FDA has a notice/advisory
dedicated to "Risk of Burns from Eruptions of Water Overheated in Microwave
Ovens".  It may be a new version of SPAM attacks by sending marginally
plausible stories out that people will now send out immediatley like so many
automatic remailers.  We're growing collectively too smart for the patently
false, so we are sent the potentially true . . . even if only happens 1 in
10 quardrillion cases.

Certainly not worth shooting this email across in an alarmed fashion to
thousands/millions of people to save them from themselves . . . especially
since there are warnings printed in the three microwave manuals I have
thumbed through this year.

niccolo difrancesco
(the attention to the "save someone by sending this" is very well placed . .
. that is your first clue as to the likely intent of the message)