[Sca-cooks] tinned crab soup - was crab cakes/crab rounds

Kathleen A Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Sun Dec 3 14:18:08 PST 2006

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 08:05:30 -0500
  "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"
<adamantius1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2006, at 4:29 AM, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>> I still have several cans of crab meat. Would crab cakes
>>be agood use
>> for this?

if they are 'found on the megamart shelf' as opposed to
'found in seafood section chilled" it is not cake making
material.

one really good use is a bastardization of my father's
crab soup.  he and his brother used half crabs for the
crabby goodness, but the erzatz tin works well.  as all
the reciped i learned when young... no real proportions

1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
several strips of bacon, squared and lightly cooked
canned tomatoes, moosed in your hand, with juice
either....
1 bag of mixed frozen veggies (with addition of tomato
juice or water to get souplike consistency that the soup
below would give)
or
several cans of vegetable vegetarian soup (honest to gawd,
it's the best)
potatoes if you like them (will be in veg veg soup)
crab meat, preferably claw
salt/pepper
old bay seasoning to taste

cook bacon just before crisp and remove from pan
saute onion and pepper in pan
put everything else into the pot except crab and seasoning
and cook until tender and the tastes blend
salt and pepper to taste

add crabmeat and old bay and let simmer a bit to blend
flavors

oh, and if you are disposed that way, add a can of
beer.... something amber, not dark

as they used to say in the old cookbooks, serve and enjoy.

i find it an economical way to enjoy crab in the
southwest. ;)

cailte

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy."
W. B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Coordinator of Freshman Admissions
University of New Mexico