[Sca-cooks] Consumer Reports on Chickens (OOP)

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 5 16:19:08 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
The latest report on chicken is making the headlines tonight.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/food/chicken-safety-1-07/overview/0107_ch
ick_ov.htm
<<<snip>>>
More than ever, it’s up to consumers to make sure they protect
themselves by cooking chicken to at least 165° F and guarding against
­cross-contamination.

Johnnae  > > > > > > >

While  do not doubt the possibility that contamination occurs, I do have
some issues with their research.  1)  Sample size was miniscule compared to
overall poplation of birds sold in a year.  552 carcasses isn't a tiny speck
compared to the millions, might be billions of carcasses sold for food.  2)
I have no specific data yet on their research protocols, but I cannot think
that they did true randsomized sampling across the entire US (They didn't
even include our large regional brand that I can see).  So, it is probably
over-generalized at this point to say our food supply is at any greater risk
today than any other time.

What we do know is that there are two foodborne pathogens out there that can
foul up the GI tract.  Purchase only from reputable suppliers, handle foods
carefully, maintain safe holding temps, cook to proper temps and avoid
cross-contamination at all costs . . . and you drop the chances of infection
phenominally, maybe to nearly nill.  Same message we have been getting for a
couple of decades, and still great advise today.

It is probably close to time for Food Inspections agencies to start tracking
campylobacter jejuni, if cases start to rise.  Salmonella has been well
controlled and on the decline for several years, so I suspect they'll put
together a protocol for campylobacteria regulation in a few years , , ,
after they squash the Trans fat epidemic.

niccolo difrancesco
(just finished my recertification ServSafe class/test last Wed, and wating
my test score)