[Sca-cooks] Torta a la Genovesa

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Thu Dec 7 15:43:08 PST 2006

Hi.  I absolutely love to cook from de Nola.  I have both Mistress Brighid's
translation (printed out from the Florilegium) and the one by Vincent Cuenca
(sold by Poison Pen Press).  Someday I hope to get my hands on a copy of the
facsimile in Castillian.

The advantage of having both is being able to compare the translations.  It
doesn't always help, but it always gives another perspective.  So, in that
vein, I'll take a crack at a couple of your question about eggs.

In a message dated 12/7/2006 4:00:49 PM Mountain Standard Time,
sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org writes:

> So to my questions:
> - Eggs... are they hard cooked? Seems that way to me, since it says
> they should be ground.

Cuenca's translation doesn't use the word "ground".  Whatever the original,
he chooses to translate it "mixed in".
I would tend to believe that they are raw in order to set the whole torte
when it is baked.  Also, another recipe that I am working with from de Nola
specifies both "egg yolks" and "hard egg yolks" so I am pretty comfortable saying
raw eggs.

A sus ordenes,
Constanza Marina de Huelva