[Sca-cooks] Hello?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri Dec 8 17:21:32 PST 2006

Adamantius commented:
<<< it's unseasonably cold here, and I'm making two
pots of a reasonable facsimile of Die Echte clam chowder from
ingredients in the fridge and cupboard >>>

Note to the unwary. This is *Adamantius'* cupboard. Not a normal
cupboard. The contents of your cupboard may vary. etc., etc. :-)

I've heard of Manhattan clam chowder and New England Chowder. How
does this one differ? Or is it a subset of Manhattan chowder due to
having the tomatoes?

<<< This process is _fairly_ modular; the pot which will get stewed,
diced tomatoes instead of milk and cream (these are somewhat modern
versions, but not totally heretical), will also get mirepoix and a
bit of diced Bell pepper (red was the first my hand fell on in the
vegetable bin, so red it is) instead of just onion. Have added flour
to make a roux (in lieu of crushed ship's biscuit; matzoh cake meal
_does_ work, though) out of the rendered salt pork fat in both pots,
then clam liquor (no, Stefan, before you ask, this is neither
distilled nor fermented, it's just what they call the juice from
opened clams). >>>

Yep, we've discussed that previously. However, if it was something
distilled or fermented I might have a better chance of finding it
down here in Ansteorra. Or is this the stuff they sell in little
glass bottles that looks like dirty dish water?

<<< Then milk and cream to one pot, and canned, diced
stewed tomatoes in juice to the other. Taking five to type this, then
will add potato to both pots. Shortly before serving,  clams are
added, salt and copious pepper, then a pat of butter in the bowls
destined for the White Stuff... >>>

Ah, I had begun to wonder if any clams were actually going to get
added at some point. This makes sense though since it would be easy
to overcook the seafood if added too soon.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com