[Sca-cooks] cloches

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 8 19:24:36 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----

niccolo difrancesco mentioned:
<<< I would gues my large terra cotta planting pot inverted would work
well for
such application in my oven? >>>

THLord Stefan li Rous  then added
Yes, although I'm not sure about the hole in the top.

Plugging "cloche" into the search engine of the Florilegium gets
several hits including this from the utensils-msg file. Other hits
give a variety of comments including details on what other people
have used as cloche substitutes.> > > > > > > > >

The large 24" terra cotta plot was bought originally for a standing rib
roast as described by Alton Brown.  While the roast was pretty darned good
(even with the hole in it), it was not worth continuing to fight with the
pot.  Now, if I had more uses for the setup, I'd pull it out of the garage
and clean it up for some cooking . . . might have to go at it with the torta
and a large diameter pan.  I have a largish oval cast iron, but that may be
too wierd to figure out cooking time.

The terra cotta version was at the garden center for less than $20 for top
and bottom piece.  Not bad for an experimental piece.

niccolo difrancesco