[Sca-cooks] Since things are quiet. What do you want for Christmas?

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Dec 8 21:52:23 PST 2006

On 12/8/06, Kathleen A Roberts <karobert at unm.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:50:00 -0600
>  "Michael Gunter" <countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So, plop on Santa's knee and tell him what you want for
> >Christmas.
>
> oooo...
> santa baby, put it under the tree, for me
> a 'lectic knife to make life so easy
> put it under my tree.....
>
> having 2 twelve lb. birds to roast and apportion for the
> office xmas party, i am hoping for an early present.  the
> husband monster has been informed. ;)

If I may make a suggestion...

Make him take you to the store, and let you try them for size and
comfort of handling. I was helping Jaji with a feast a while back, and
I volunteered to slice the roasts for him- about a couple dozen, no
big deal. He gave me an electric knife two of which had been the
"freebies" as part of some equipment he bought. The thing was so badly
shaped, between how you had to hold it, and the method for pressing
the button, that after the first roast, my wrist was in pain. I got
through them all. eventually, but I was unable to use my right hand
for more than very light work for two weeks- and this was with taking
frequent breaks, switching to conventional knives (for some reason, no
one had a truly sharp knife at this event) and getting help from other
people, although normally this would have been a job I could have done
myself, with very little trouble (although it would have taken some
time).

Moral of the story- check to make sure an electric knife suits your
hand just as you would a quality conventional steel (or ceramic)
carving/chef's knife. You'll regret it if you don't.

--
Saint Phlip

Heat it up
Hit it hard
Repent as necessary.

Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

Psalm 146
King James Bible